Sausage and Apple Bread Stuffing
|1 Pound SWEET ITALIAN TURKEY SAUSAGE, squeezed from casings|
|1 Small onion, diced fine|
|3 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and diced|
|2 (10-Ounce) boxes stuffing mix|
|3 Cups TURKEY BROTH or low-sodium chicken broth|
|1/2 Cup unsalted butter, melted|
|1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place sausage into skillet and break up sausage into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until sausage pieces are brown and no pink color remains. Remove from skillet. Spoon sausage into a bowl, crumbling any remaining large sausage pieces.
- Add onions and apples to the skillet and cook until lightly browned.
- Combine apples and onions with the stuffing mix and prepare according to package instructions (using broth and melted butter).
- Blend in cooked sausage and black pepper; mix well.
- Place in a buttered 13x9x2-inch casserole dish and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, crisp and the internal temperature of the dressing registers 165 degrees F.
- NOTE: The recipe may also be used to stuff a whole turkey. Turkeys should be stuffed loosely, with about 3/4 cup stuffing per pound of turkey. Lightly spoon stuffing into the neck and body cavities, allowing for expansion during roasting. When testing the turkey for doneness, also check the internal temperature of the stuffing and continue to cook until the stuffing temperature registers 165 degrees F.
|Recipe Source: Recipe and photo kindly provided by Honeysuckle White||