|1/2 Pound dry red kidney beans, soaked overnight in the refrigerator|
|1 jalapeno pepper, cut in half|
|2 Cloves fresh garlic, smashed|
|2 bay leaves (fresh, if possible)|
|As needed cold water|
- Drain dried kidney beans that have been soaked in water overnight. Rinse and drain again.
- Add drained kidney beans to a sauce pan.
- Add 1/2 jalapeno, garlic cloves and bay leaves.
- Cover with water. Stir well and simmer for 1 hour on low heat. Cook until beans are tender.
- Cool and strain. Remove jalapeno, garlic cloves and bay leaves.
|2 Tablespoons canola or extra virgin olive oil (for coating bottom of pan/pot)|
|2-1/2 Pounds GROUND TURKEY|
|2 Teaspoons kosher salt|
|4-5 Bay leaves|
|4 Cinnamon sticks|
|1 Teaspoon dried chili pepper|
|4 Tablespoons spice blend (equal parts ground coriander, cumin, fennel seed)|
|1 Cup chopped celery|
|1 Cup peeled and chopped carrots|
|3 Cups chopped onions|
|1 Red jalapeno, sliced thin|
|1 Green jalapeno, sliced thin|
|2 Dried whole ancho chili peppers|
|2 whole chipotle peppers|
|4 Fresh tomatoes, peeled and slow cooked in olive oil for tomato confit|
|3-4 Canned plum tomatoes plus juice (or 8-9 tomatoes if tomato confit is not used)|
|1 Quart cold water (add more as needed)|
|2 Cups peeled, seeded and finely diced butternut squash|
|2 Cups peeled and finely diced turnip|
- Heat oil in a large nonstick stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Lightly brown the turkey, breaking it up with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle turkey with salt.
- Add bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, dried chili pepper or pepper flakes and 4 tablespoons of the spice blend. Combine well with turkey.
- Stir in celery, carrots, onions, sliced red and green jalapenos.
- Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato confit, tomatoes and tomato juice. Crush tomatoes with spoon.
- Add water and reduce heat. Simmer for 1/2 hour (if desired, you can cook it for up to 2 hours).
- Hold ancho and chipotle peppers over the stove-top flame to char them. Add peppers to the turkey mixture.
- Stir in cooked and strained beans to chili.
- Simmer chili another 10-15 minutes over low heat. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Remove ancho and chipotle peppers, chop fine and return to the chili.
- Stir in the butternut squash and turnip and cook until tender (about another 5-8 minutes).
- Remove bay leaves and cinnamon sticks.
|Lime Sour Cream|
|2 Large limes|
|1 Cup sour cream|
|1 Teasponn salt|
- Zest limes and squeeze juice from limes.
- Mix juice into sour cream.
- Add salt to taste.
- Put a dollop on top of each bowl of chili.
|1/2 to 1 Cup chopped green scallions|
|1/2 to 1 Cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese|
|1/2 Cup watermelon radish, sliced thin into small matchsticks|
|As needed cornbread sticks or corn muffins|
- Add garnishes and serve hot with cornbread sticks or corn muffins.