Creamy Turkey Stew in a Bread Bowl
|1 Pound TURKEY BREAST or THIGHS, cut into cubes|
|2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|3 Tablespoons oil|
|2 Tablespoons unsalted butter|
|3 Medium onions, chopped|
|2 Celery stalks, sliced|
|2 Large carrots, peeled and sliced|
|2 Medium potatoes, peeled and diced|
|1 Large garlic clove, minced|
|1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped|
|2 Cups fresh button mushrooms, cleaned and cut in chunks|
|2 Cups dry white wine|
|1 Cup TURKEY or low-sodium chicken stock|
|1/2 Cup half and half cream|
|To Taste salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|4 large Kaiser buns|
- Dust turkey with flour. In a large heavy bottom pot, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add turkey and sauté on all sides until lightly browned. Remove turkey and set aside.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, garlic and rosemary. Sauté 10 minutes or until onions become transparent.
- Return turkey to the pot and add white wine and chicken stock. Cover and reduce to simmer. Cook 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in cream and season to taste.
- Slice off the top third of each Kaiser bun. Hollow out the bottoms of each bun, leaving 1/4 inch of bread and crust to form a "bowl".
- Fill each bun with turkey stew and top with lid.
|Recipe Source: Recipe and photo courtesy of Ontario Turkey Producers||