|3 Tablespoons unsalted butter|
|1-1/2 Cups finely chopped onion|
|1-1/2 Cups cored and finely chopped apple|
|1-1/2 Cups finely chopped celery|
|1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning|
|1-1/2 Teaspoons finely grated orange peel|
|1-1/2 Teaspoons ground sage|
|1-1/2 Teaspoons dried thyme leaves|
|12 Cups unseasoned dry bread cubes|
|2-1/2 Cups coarsely chopped figs|
|1/2 Pound mild ITALIAN TURKEY SAUSAGE, cooked and chopped|
|1 Cup walnut pieces, toasted|
|1 to 1-1/4 Cups dry white wine|
|1 to 1-1/4 Cups TURKEY BROTH|
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Over medium heat and in large deep skillet or Dutch oven, melt butter. Add onion, apple and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat. Add poultry seasoning, orange peel, sage and thyme. Stir in remaining ingredients, adding enough wine and broth to moisten. Blend well.
- Place in buttered 13-x-9-inch baking dish or large casserole. Cover and bake for 45 minutes; remove cover and continue baking 15 minutes until heated through and top is crisp. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- OR, spoon stuffing into cavities of a 12- to 15-pound turkey. Roast turkey in a 325 degree oven. Cook until the internal temperature of the stuffing reaches 165 degrees F.