|6 to 8 Large tart apples (A combination of tart apples provides the best flavor)|
|2 Tablespoons orange juice|
| Pastry for 2-crust 9-inch pie|
|1/2 Cup granulated sugar|
|1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar|
|1 to 2 Tablespoons flour|
|1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/4 Teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg|
|1/8 Teaspoon salt|
|1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest|
|1 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest|
|2 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into bits|
- Pare and core apples. Cut into quarters and then slice thin. Toss with orange juice.
- Place a large baking sheet in the oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 9-inch pie pan with pastry and trim edge, leaving a ½-inch overhang.
- In a large bowl, combine sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Lightly pat 1 tablespoon of sugar mixture into pastry.
- Add lemon and orange zest to remaining sugar mixture. Add apple slices and toss to coat all apple surfaces.
- Spoon apple filling into shell. Dot with pats of butter.
- Drape second pastry round over filled pie shell. Trim edges, leaving a ½-inch overhang. Press edges together and pinch/crimp decoratively to seal. Cut slits in pastry with a small sharp knife to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pie, on hot baking sheet, in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender, filling is bubbling and pastry is golden brown. Cool pie to warm or room temperature on a rack, 2 to 4 hours.