Honey and Spice Glazed Turkey
|2 Teaspoons chili powder|
|1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder|
|1/4 Teaspoon ground allspice|
|1/4 Teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/4 Teaspoon salt|
|1/8 Teaspoon ground red pepper|
|2 Tablespoons honey|
|1 Teaspoon cold water|
|1 15-pound WHOLE TURKEY, thawed if frozen|
|2 Tablespoons vegetable oil|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Mix chili powder, garlic powder, allspice, cumin, salt, red pepper, honey and water in small bowl until well blended; set aside for step 6. (See Note)
- Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; discard or refrigerate for another use. Drain juices from turkey; dry turkey with paper towels.
- Turn wings back to hold neck skin against back of turkey.
- Place turkey, breast up, on flat roasting rack in roasting pan 2 to 3 inches deep. Brush turkey with oil.
- Roast turkey in the preheated oven for a total of 3 to 3-1/2 hours, covering breast and top of drumsticks loosely with foil after 2 hours to prevent overcooking of breast.
- Uncover turkey breast and brush turkey with honey-spice mixture when about 45 minutes of roasting time remains. Return foil to top of turkey and continue roasting until food thermometer, inserted deep in thigh, reaches 180 degrees F.
- Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.
- NOTE: Do not brush glaze on turkey until near the end of roasting time. If the glaze is added in the initial roasting procedure the sugar from the honey would cause the skin to darken.
|Recipe Source: Recipe and photo provided by Butterball||