Super Foods - Turkey and Blueberry Salad
|1/2 Cup walnuts, coarsely chopped|
|2 Cups blueberries, washed, drained and stems removed|
|1/4 Teaspoon sugar|
|1/2 Teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped|
|To taste salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|2 Cups wild and white rice combo, cooked and chilled|
|2 Cups COOKED or OVEN ROASTED TURKEY, cut in chunks or strips|
|1 Head butter lettuce, washed, drained and chilled|
|1 Orange, peeled, seeded and cut into segments|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes or until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine blueberries, sugar, tarragon and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well, cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add rice, turkey and toasted walnuts.
- Divide lettuce and orange segments among individual plates. Top each with the salad.
|1/2 Cup orange juice|
|2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar|
|1 Tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped|
|2 Teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped|
|1 Tablespoon walnut oil|
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, vinegar, parsley, thyme and walnut oil.
- Pour over the turkey-blueberry mixture and toss to combine. May be made up to two hours in advance, but salad should be covered and chilled.
|Recipe Source: Adapted from a recipe by the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council.||