Turkey Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
|8 (3 to 4-inch diameter) Portabella mushroom caps|
|1 Pound HOT ITALIAN TURKEY SAUSAGE|
|1 Teaspoon fennel seed, crushed|
|1/2 Cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs|
|8-Ounces cream cheese, softened|
|1/8 Teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|1/4 Teaspoon salt|
|1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|1/4 Cup olive oil|
|1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese|
- Remove stems from mushrooms and coarsely chop the stems.
- Squeeze sausage from casings into a large skillet. SautÚ sausage over medium heat, breaking up sausage into small pieces. Add chopped stems and fennel seed to pan and sautÚ until sausage is cooked through.
- Remove from pan with a slotted spoon into a medium size bowl. Stir bread crumbs into sausage. Add softened cream cheese, cayenne, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Place mushroom caps on baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Brush mushrooms, top and bottom with small amount of olive oil.
- Fill each cavity with ╝ cup sausage mixture. Sprinkle each with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake stuffed mushrooms in a preheated 325 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until mushrooms and stuffing are hot throughout.
|Recipe Source: Recipe provided by the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council||