|Sweet Turkey Sausage|
|2 Pounds TURKEY LEGS (skinned and boned with tendons pulled)|
|8 Ounces pork fat back, diced|
|1/2 Teaspoon fresh garlic, minced|
|1 Tablespoon salt|
|1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper|
|1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground fennel seed|
|1/2 Teaspoon dextrose|
|1/4 Teaspoon smoked paprika|
|1-1/2 Ounces ice cold water|
- Cube turkey into 1-inch pieces and mix with pork fat back. Chill to just above freezing.
- Thoroughly mix turkey, fat, garlic, salt, pepper, fennel, dextrose and paprika together.
- Place a 1/4-inch plate on a sausage grinder.
- Grind turkey mixture and place mixture over a bowl of ice to keep all raw ingredients cold.
- Add water and mix turkey until it forms a bit of elasticity.
- Cook a small amount and adjust seasoning, as needed.
- Cover and chill raw ingredients until time of service.
- Yield: 2-1/2 Pounds
|Bucatini with Sweet Turkey Sausage|
|1 Pound bucatini pasta (or substitute spaghetti or linguini)|
|1 Pound SWEET TURKEY SAUSAGE (from above)|
|3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, DIVIDED|
|3 Cloves garlic, thinly sliced|
|1 Pinch chili flakes|
|1 Bunch broccoli rabe, blanched and chopped|
|To taste salt and freshly ground pepper|
|2 Ounces grated Parmesan|
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add pasta and cook until tender.
- Break-up the turkey sausage into small 1/2-inch pieces.
- Over high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large sauté pan.
- Add sausage and cook until browned.
- Remove sausage from the pan and add the remaining olive oil.
- Add garlic and chili flakes to the pan and sauté only until translucent and aromatic.
- Add broccoli rabe and cooked sausage to the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked pasta with some pasta water and toss to incorporate all ingredients.
- Portion into six bowls and top with grated Parmesan.