|Pickled Red Onion|
|2 Cups rice vinegar|
|1/4 Cup sugar|
|1 Teaspoon salt|
|1/4 Teaspoon black pepper|
|1 Large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch thick rings|
- Bring 1 quart water to a boil.
- Place vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper into a 2 quart mixing bowl and mix well.
- Place onions in a colander. Pour boiling water over onions.
- Immediately place onions in the vinegar mixture and stir well.
- Marinate 1/2 hour. Drain liquid. Cover and reserve for service.
|Apple Jicama Slaw|
|2 Cups Granny Smith apples, julienned thin|
|2 Cups jicama, peeled, julienned thin|
|1 Cup carrot, peeled, julienned thin|
|1/2 cup green onions, sliced|
- Combine all ingredients. Cover and reserve for service.
|Chipolte Roasted Tomato Salsa|
|3 Cups diced roasted tomatoes, canned|
|1/2 Cup green onions, sliced|
|1/2 Cup fresh cilantro, chopped|
|1/4 Cup freshly squeezed lime juice|
|2 Each chipolte peppers|
|To Taste salt and black pepper|
- Combine the ingredients in a blender and pulse until mixture is coarsely pureed. Cover and reserve.
|2-1/4 Pounds TURKEY THIGHS, boneless and skinless|
|1-1/2 Quarts orange juice|
|1/2 Cup annatto paste|
|To Taste salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|2 Each bay leaves|
- Place turkey, orange juice, annatto, salt, pepper and bay leaves in a thick-bottomed 1 gallon stock pot.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook over low-medium heat for 1 hour until turkey is very tender.
- Shred into thick long pieces and reserve. Warm with a cup of the cooking liquid folded into it.
|12 Each banana leaves, toasted and trimmed into 12 (8-inch) squares|
- Add half the salsa to the bottom of each banana leaf.
- Place 3/4-cup of shredded turkey down center of each leaf.
- Fold banana leaves into packets, being sure to close both sides.
- Place packets of turkey in a perforated pan and steam in a steamer until very hot.
- Cut packets open to reveal turkey.
- Serve with grilled tortillas, pickled red onions, remaining salsa and apple jicama slaw.