Minestrone with Italian Sausage
|3 Tablespoons olive oil|
|3 Large white onions, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces|
|9 Cloves fresh garlic, minced|
|1 Tablespoon fennel seeds, crushed|
|1/3 Cup tomato paste|
|3 Quarts TURKEY BROTH or low-sodium chicken broth|
|1/2 (#10 Can) stewed tomatoes, undrained|
|3 Cups zucchini, thinly sliced|
|2 Pounds frozen chopped spinach, thawed|
|1 Tablespoon dried basil|
|1-1/2 Teaspoons coarse ground black pepper|
|2-1/4 Cups orzo pasta|
|3 Pounds HOT ITALIAN TURKEY SAUSAGE, sliced in 1/4-inch pieces|
|3/4 Cups Parmesan cheese, freshly grated|
- Over medium-high heat, in a stockpot, heat olive oil. Add onion, garlic and fennel seed. Cook until onions are soft.
- Stir in tomato paste, turkey or chicken broth, stewed tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, basil, pepper and orzo. Cover and gently simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile brown sausage slices and cook until all pink color disappears.
- Remove sausage slices and drain on paper towels. Blot dry and add to stockpot. Continue simmering for an additional 10 minutes.
- Portion into warm soup bowls and sprinkle each with 1-tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
|Recipe Source: Recipe and photo provided by Honeysuckle White||