Pasta with Turkey Sausage and Olives
|2 Pounds mostaccioli, rigatoni or other medium pasta shape, uncooked|
|1 Pound TURKEY ITALIAN SAUSAGE|
|1 Teaspoon olive oil|
|2 Cloves garlic, minced|
|1 Quart canned Italian plum tomatoes, crushed|
|1 Cup Medium black olives, pitted and sliced|
|To Taste crushed red pepper flakes|
|To Taste salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|1/4 Cup chopped Italian parsley|
|As needed grated Parmesan cheese|
- Crumble sausage into a large, heavy nonstick skillet. Place over medium heat and sauté, stirring often to break up the sausage into small pieces. Cook until sausage has lost all pink color and is cooked through. Drain sausage and transfer to a bowl; reserve.
- Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook only until it becomes fragrant, about 45-60 seconds. Add tomatoes, olives and crushed red pepper.
- Return sausage to skillet and add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 5-8 minutes.
- Prepare pasta. Before draining, reserve 1 cup cooking liquid.
- Drain pasta and return it to the pot over low heat. Add tomato sauce. If sauce is too thick to evenly coat the pasta, stir in some of the reserved liquid. Stir in parsley.
- Per order: divide pasta among shallow pasta bowls. Garnish each with Parmesan.
|Recipe Source: Recipe provided by the National Pasta Association||