Via Cucina's White Turkey Chili
|1/3 Cup olive oil|
|1-1/2 Cups white pearl onions|
|1/4 Cup minced garlic|
|1/4 Cup ground cumin|
|3 Pounds UNCOOKED TURKEY BREAST, cut into 12-inch cubes|
|1-1/2 Pounds GROUND TURKEY|
|2-1/4 Quarts TURKEY BROTH or low-sodium chicken broth|
|3/4 Cup pearl barley|
|1/3 Cup chopped jalapeno chilies, seeded|
|1 Tablespoon dried marjoram|
|1 Tablespoon dried summer savory|
|45-50 Ounces cooked cannellini, rinsed and drained|
|45-50 Ounces cooked garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained|
|1/4 to 1/2 Teaspoon hot pepper sauce|
|As needed chopped green onions|
|As needed grated Cheddar cheese|
|As needed sour cream|
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add cubed turkey breast and ground turkey. Sauté until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add stock, barley, jalapeños, marjoram and summer savory to turkey mixture. Cover and simmer until barley is almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
- Add cannellini and garbanzo beans to chili. Simmer uncovered until barley is tender and chili is thick, about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper.
- Garnish each portion chili with green onions, cheese and sour cream.
|Chef: Owner Chuck Manfredonia|
|Restaurant: Via Cucina|
|Location: Metro Washington, DC||