Sweet Potato & Apple Spice Stuffed Turkey Roulade with Coffee/Nut Streusel & Calvados Gastrique
|4 to 5 Pound TURKEY BREAST|
|3 Tablespoons canola oil, divided|
|1 Small cooking apple, peeled and diced in water|
|1/2 Cup sweet potato, peeled, diced and blanched|
|1/4 Cup yellow onions, small dice|
|2 Tablespoons unsalted butter|
|2 Tablespoons brown sugar|
|2 Teaspoons salt|
|1 Teaspoon white pepper|
|1 Teaspoon star-anise extract|
|1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/4 Teaspoon ground cloves|
|1/4 Teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1/4 Vanilla bean|
|1/4 Cup pre-shelled roasted chestnuts, sliced|
|1/4 Cup graham cracker crumbs|
|As needed butchers twine|
- Prepare turkey breast for stuffing: Place skin-side down on cutting board; with a paring knife, slice down center to butterfly turkey breast without breaking the skin. Pound meat gently with meat mallet to about 1/2-inch thickness, being careful not to break the skin.
- In a medium-sized sauté pan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil; gently sauté apple, sweet potato and onions until softened, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Strain any liquid, discard.
- Add butter, brown sugar, salt, white pepper, star-anise extract, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla bean seeds (reserve pod), chestnuts and graham-cracker crumbs. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place cooled mixture over 1/2 of butterflied turkey breast. Roll into roulade, starting at the side with stuffing. Tie with butcher’s twine.
- In a large sauté pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat; sear turkey on all sides.
- Grease baking pan with oil; place turkey in greased pan; pour over juices from sauté pan; cover with aluminum foil.
- Roast in preheated 350°F oven 45 minutes to 1 hour, until stuffing reaches internal temperature of 160°F. Remove from oven, leaving oven on. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes.
- Remove butcher’s twine, saving any juices.
|1 Cup Calvados|
|3/4 Cup sugar|
|1/2 Cup apple-cider vinegar|
|1/2 Cup cold water|
- Bring calvados, sugar, vinegar, water and reserved vanilla-bean pod to a low boil over medium-high heat; cook until syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- Discard pod; remove from heat; set aside.
|1/2 Cup walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped|
|1/2 Cup unsalted butter, melted|
|1/3 Cup freshly ground coffee beans (medium grind)|
|1/4 Cup brown sugar|
|2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1 Teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt|
|1/2 Teaspoon ground chili pepper|
- Combine all streusel ingredients in bowl; crumble evenly over turkey.
- Return to oven; roast 10 more minutes or until the internal temperature registers 165-170 degrees F.
- Allow to rest. Slice warm; served drizzled with Calvados Gastrique.