|3/4 Cup homemade or bottled hot sauce|
|1/2 Cup fresh rosemary leaves, picked|
|1/2 Cup fresh parsley, chopped|
|1/2 Cup fresh basil, chopped|
|1/2 Cup fresh thyme, picked|
|1/4 Cup mustard seeds, coarsely ground|
|1 Cup scallions, chopped|
|2-1/4 Teaspoons kosher salt|
|1-1/4 Tablespoons black pepper|
|1/2 Cup fresh lime juice|
|1/4 Cup Dijon mustard|
|1/4 Cup orange juice|
|1 Tablespoon ground cumin|
|1-1/2 Tablespoons ground allspice|
|3/4 Teaspoon red chile flakes|
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and process to a paste. Let paste stand overnight in a covered container in the refrigerator.
- Yields: 1-1/2 Quarts
|Brine for Turkey|
|2 Quarts water|
|2 oranges, zested|
|1-1/3 Cups maple sugar|
|5 Tablespoons kosher salt|
|2 Cups yellow onions, thick slice|
|3 Medium bay leaves|
|2 Teaspoons black peppercorns|
|10 Cloves garlic, smashed|
|4 Teaspoons whole mustard seed|
|2 Teaspoons allspice berries|
- Combine water, orange zest, maple sugar and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Cool to room temperature.
- Stir in onions, bay leaves, peppercorns, garlic, mustard seeds and allspice berries. Cover and reserve.
|12 16-Ounce BONE-IN TURKEY THIGHS, skin-on|
- Place turkey thighs, skin side down on cutting board. Locate thigh bone and slice along each side of bone to loosen. Do not remove bone as it allows the thigh to hold its shape and provides additional flavor. (Loosening the bone will let the brine and smoke penetrate the turkey more evenly.)
- Place thighs in a 2-inch deep hotel pan and pour brine over thighs.
- Cover and refrigerate 12-18 hours.
- Remove thighs from brine and pat dry.
- Smoke thighs at 225 degrees F. for 45 minutes, using a light wood such as apple or oak. Remove thighs from smoker. Remove thigh bone and discard.
|2 Tablespoons corn oil|
|2 Cups yellow onion, small dice|
|4-1/2 Cups ripe bananas, sliced|
|1-1/2 Cups orange juice|
|2 Tablespoons brown sugar|
|1 Teaspoon curry powder|
|3 Cups TURKEY STOCK|
|2 Teaspoons rice wine vinegar|
|2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice|
|1 Tablespoon kosher salt|
|1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped|
|1 Tablespoon fresh chives, minced|
- Heat corn oil and saute onion until soft and golden. Add ripe bananas and saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in orange juice, brown sugar, curry powder and turkey stock. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 15 minutes, until bananas are very soft.
- Puree sauce. Season with rice wine vinegar, fresh lime juice, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Stir in finely chopped cilantro and minced fresh chives. Cover, refrigerate and reserve for service.
- Brush reserved jerk marinade on all sides of thighs. Grill thighs over medium-high wood fire, skin side down, until browned and crusty. Turn thighs over, brush with more marinade and grill until cooked to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F.
- Slice thighs, 1/2-inch thick, across the grain. Portion 4-5 slices per entree.
|Plating and Service|
- Serving suggestion: nap dinner plates with Banana Ketchup.
- Stack sliced turkey slices atop rice pilaf. Garnish with seasonal vegetables.