Sweet Potato Pie
|1 Ready-to-bake pie crust (from 15-ounce package), room temperature|
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Press pie dough firmly against sides and bottom of 9-1/2 to 10-inch glass pie pan. Fold edges under and pinch to form decorative edge.
- With fork, prick bottom and sides of crust to prevent puffing during baking. Line crust with foil or parchment paper. Fill crust with pie weights, dry beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake on center oven rack, 10 minutes. Remove from oven; remove foil and weights. Return to oven and bake 5 minutes.
|Sweet Potato Filling|
|1 (15-Ounce) can sweet potatoes/yams in syrup|
|2 Large eggs, room temperature|
|1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract|
|1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled|
|1 to 2 Teaspoons finely grated orange zest|
|2/3 Cup granulated sugar|
|1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/4 Teaspoon salt|
|1 (12-Ounce) can evaporated milk|
- Meanwhile, drain sweet potatoes, remove tough stem ends and eyes.
- In a shallow bowl, mash potatoes.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in vanilla, butter, orange zest, sugar, cinnamon, salt and potatoes. Mix well. Slowly mix in milk.
- Pour filling into hot crust.
- Bake, on center oven rack, 5 minutes at 425 degrees F. Reduce heat to 300 degrees F and bake another 40-45 minutes or until knife, when inserted two inches from edge, comes out clean. (Custard will continue to cook after pie is out of oven.)
- Cool, on a wire rack, for up to 30 minutes. Cover and chill.